Saturday, October 25, 2008

The pumpkin patch

I like to be festive, I wish I was more festive, and now i'm actually trying to BE festive. I know my son is only 4 months old, but he was dying to go show off his cute halloween outfit at the pumpkin patch. That's not silly, right?
Well, Josiah doesn't really believe in festivities, so instead of asking if I could decorate the house, I just told him I was going to decorate, and asked what my budget was. 10 bucks. Nice. So, I went to Ross, and got these little pumpkins that are glittery, and put them in a bowl that I already had on display. I used the other 2 bucks for halloween colored candies and put them in a dish. P.S. Zeke's outfit doesn't count.

So when it was time to go to the pumpkin patch, Jo gave me a really hard time about exhausting my budget already, so I told him that pumpkins were actually groceries, and therefore would be coming out of the grocery budget! (I'm so smart!) I asked Jacqui what to make with pumpkin, expecting to hear pie, and she delivered. She suggested a soup that she had heard of here: http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/Recipes.html

It's a pumpkin soup that's cooked and served in the pumpkin shell. I'm SO EXCITED TO MAKE IT!!! I bought two pumpkins, one for carving, and one for cooking. This should be fun! Hopefully Josiah won't work tomorrow, and we can cook it up!
Pretty much a beautiful day. Fleece pants probably weren't necessary, but they matched
See, he's having a good time! They both are actually.
Oh, and this is my "made in china" find of the week. I went to Ross, again, and found this AWESOME outfit. Josiah will be SO PROUD! Isn't it hideous! I know we're supposed to be boycotting China, but how can I when I get gems like this. I remember this plaid from grade school. Pretty sure EVERY boy had this shirt. And the undershirt is thermal material and I love that it's a onesie, and not just a t-shirt. The pants are corduroy, and the penny loafers were only 3 dollars. They smell like made in china. They don't go, just another lucky find.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy it while you can (dressing your kid). We went to a pumpkin patch too but Val refused to wear his orange fleece pants so I didn't bother taking the camera. HAHA He did carve a pretty sweet jack-o-lantern though and we got pictures of that. I'll put them on my blog soon.

You GO with your creative budgeting!

IronLawGirl said...

We did that last year too! I've been trying to find the recipe I used for that, I know I gave it to Tawnya, I'll have her email it to us. It has hamburger in it, but it's really good! Also your little pumpkin is adorable! And holy smokes on the good Ross deals! When we moved I gave all of our holiday decorations to DI since I thought we would have a house to decorate for 3+ years. Suckker.

Jacqui said...

I just paid much more for those very loafers for Paolo's Christmas outfit. Save them for him when Zekers outgrows them. Your boys look really super cute at the pumpkin patch. I think the best part about blogs is that the moms actually use their cameras. It makes me want to dust mine off!