Saturday, August 2, 2008

Color me domestic!

So lately I've been wanting to make use of all the wonderful things I inherited from my Mom. So the other night Josiah and I were watching t.v., and I mentioned cinnamon rolls. He didn't let it drop, and so I stocked my cupboard with baking ingredients, and proceeded to pull out the Bosch. For those who aren't familiar, the Bosch is basically a kitchen aid, but not as cute. However, I think it's way more user friendly. It's more cumbersome, but I'm just used to it because I grew up with it. So this unit is as old as I am, and it still works great. I whipped up some beautiful dough in about 20 minutes, and then I had to let it rise forever. Once the cinnamon rolls were in pan, we went to bed, and then I finished them for when Josiah got home from work the next day. They were pretty tastey, but not gooey enough and I like cream cheese frosting better. Also, I was supposed to use a half batch of sweet roll dough, and I used the whole thing. Oops!
So the next project I decided to take on was a little more challenging for me. I had been looking everywhere for a blessing outfit for Zeke, but I couldn't find anything perfect. So yesterday we were running errands, and I picked up the only option at the distribution center. It was fine, but it just wasn't special. At all. So the more I thought about it, I decided I'd TRY to make him something. The easy part is picking out a pattern, because you can sew anything in all white, and it will work, but I'm not a designer, so bare with me. Josiah was sweet enough to take us to the fabric store, and be my consultant. Zeke was miserable and kept waking up and crying, so Josiah was getting stressed, and the store was closing down, so they didn't have everything we needed. However, I put most of it together last night, and then went out and bought the rest of my supplies today. The jo-ann fabrics in Roseville is AWESOME! I wish I had a girl to sew for. Boys clothes just aren't as exciting. Also, the ladies there helped me through one technical part of the pattern, and here's the finished product! Thanks mom for the sewing machine. I knew I'd use it one day for something besides a quilt!

6 comments:

IronLawGirl said...

Oh no way!!!!! You're already finished??!! Speedy Gonzalez. ;)
Looks so good.

Tawnya said...

Way to go Des!! I'm jealous that you can sew. My awesome sewing machine just sits unused at my moms. :( I can't wait to see Zeke in it.

Until such time... said...

Des - I'm so proud of you - and I'm sure your mom is also!

The cinnamon rolls look so yummmy and the little outfit looks just like something your mom would have created. Very classy - nice details - and very well done.

Wow. I didn't even know you knew how to sew.

Love to all,
Aunt Sylvia
onwingsofwords.blogspot.com

kelsey said...

look at you, all fancy!!! i love it. and now i'm going to have to make cinnamon rolls! oh great. thanks alot!

ivette said...

Mamma Des,
You were always so domestic. Thanks for feeding me in college, clothing me for halloween and other mama stuff. Your skills amaze me.
Love ya!

Taylors said...

Good job sewing a blessing outfit. I took the easy way out and just borrowed Kristin's that she made for Gwen. And those cinnamon rolls look so scrumptious!!