Tuesday, January 20, 2009

We've got SPROUTS!


That may sound gross. It's not. They're radishes! I have been dying to buy a house for the sole purpose of having a garden. We moved in last April, so I was hoping I could get one in then, but alas being 7 months pregnant doesn't agree with yard work. Not for me anyway. A friend told me about "Square Foot Gardening." Apparently you're supposed to be able to grow in 20% of the space of a row garden. So, I bought the book, and enlisted the help of my two friends Kim and Susanne. They also want gardens, but don't have quite the yard that I do. I got SO lucky with this lot. it's over 5,000 sq ft. and since my house is tiny, it leaves a good back yard. Basically you build little boxes and all of your plants get a designated square foot. I'm doing 1x7 foot boxes along my fence for climbing plants, and then some 4x8's and a 4x4 in the grass for the rest of them. I know the grass is going to die under them, but then we're going to have delicious produce. Berries, corn, tomatoes, potatos, (sp?) RADISHES, beans, melons, squash, peas, lettuces, spinach, PEPPERS! YAY? So on Saturday, I began seeds indoors so that we can get an early start and not have to buy plants later. It's only TUESDAY, and my radishes are already sprouting. Kim's little boy Kayden planted those, so he must have the green thumb, because it's NOT me! I'm just hoping to not kill my garden this year. This may be the theme of my summer of blogging. Oh yeah, and I have a really cute baby too. He actually LOVES being outside when i'm working. It's really cute. I'll have to get him a kiddy pool to play in whilst we garden.
These are our seedlings that we started last Saturday. The red cups are the radishes that are already sprouting. They're supposed to harvest in 22 days, so I'm excited for a quick return!

3 comments:

IronLawGirl said...

THat is awesome!!! I want a sqaure foot garden. And I love the Dora cups!

Tawnya said...

Good for you! I have often wondered about square foot gardening...maybe I'll have to check out what the library has to offer. And of course, get inspiration from your blog!

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! You have an amazing gift, that I will reap the benefits of!!! Ha Ha I'm retarded. Seriously this is gonna be the best summer ever!!!